13 October 2022

new deal


So the other night, 
Just before midnight,
The door to my room flew open
And my housemate was 
At the threshold screaming at me. 
He called me and cussed me out 
for making noise. 
Screaming. Shaking. 
Out of control. 

Trouble is, I was asleep in my bed. 
I told him so. And his response was 
“No you weren’t!” 
*blink*blink*what?*blink*

I told the owner of the house. 
She said .”Ummm …well… 
I wasn’t there. Rough stuff. 
But I can’t say. I don’t know.”


So I answered back to her-
It’s like saying there are good people 
On both sides of Charlottesville. 
The KKK and Neo Nazis 
have good people too. 
I’m sure my screaming housemate 
is a “good person”. 
But I’m also sure of what happened 
At midnight. 
My word against his. 
But she didn’t back me. 

So I looked for options. 
Move out? 
Yes. But I’m not ready to do it 
In the next 90 days. 


This condo was going for $10,000
Just a few years ago. 





Even modest housing is
Quarter of a Million. 
When prices drop $10k in one day,
 you know it’s an inflated market. 
I guess that’s from Californians 
Moving here. Let’s hope it turns Texas blue. 
But without the crazy rules. 


So i got some cameras to put up in my room. 
So. As unbelievable as it is 
To have a fucked up angry drunk
Screaming “You’re crazy!” And 
You god damn fucking crazy bitch!”
Trying to get in my room
At midnight-
Now the housemate doesn’t believe me. 
Time to move. 
I won’t live like this. 

It’s like not believing a rape victim. 
What were you wearing? 
How much had you been drinking? 
Our society likes to blame the victim 
And elevate the good ole boys. 


Run down crap in the 
NeighborHood. 

After COVID and the economy,
People need to be in a good spot 
before chaos hits. 










Oh how nice. 
One of the Nurses left me some hair. 

So where do you draw the lines?
How do we decide what we will take
And what we would never tolerate?






3 comments:

  1. Anne, he came into your room at midnight screaming? What the HECK?!!! That would be terrifying, but the scarier part is that he's denying it, and the even scarier is he's being believed. Do they think you just make things like that up for the fun of it? The housing market is crazy, rents are crazy here in New York...but I did just see a one bed, one bath cottage in Oswego NY for rent for $795...they'll probably be 100 applicants...
    Do you have a nice strong lock on your door? I hope you are able to find another place, you work so hard, you deserve a place to live that is a haven, a safe home. I know it doesn't help much, but I am enraged on your behalf...hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, I didn't know my comment would be published as "anonymous", it's Della...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Della- we all hashed it out… typical he said/ she said stuff… but… enough is too much when it comes to that.
    About the door opening, I think the house has shifted and a few of the doors don’t latch completely. It probably was a cat that opened the door. But the chaos that followed… hurt my heart
    Anne H

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!