13 July 2009

my induction story

stranded!



It has been 4 months since I went on the vacation that started it all.  2 months since I started blogging.  Perhaps it IS time to share my story! If anyone wishes to read it...


In March 09, I drove from Dallas to California for an ACIM seminar. Taught by Ken Wapnick.  Went to the ocean - typical California tourist stuff. Walking on the beach in Oceanside. Walking around every little town from Temecula to La Jolla! 


All my life, I have never "gone on vacation!" I've gone places, but the Army doesn't count as vacation! I never weighed, but I was probably 205 pounds, or more. Some have estimated / calculated 225 or 230! I wore a size 24 and I'm 5'2". Do the math.

That spring, there was a late snow storm. Do you remember? As I neared the Grand Canyon (on the way home) it started to snow.  7,000 feet up and snow. "How pretty!"  I thought, until the 70 mph winds started!



I finally got to a little fishing lodge in Marble City AZ. That's a link to the Cliff Dweller's Lodge.  RV's were toppled over, fishing boats were capsized. People were stranded everywhere! The roads were closed, the power was out. Wifi and cell phones didn't work. No way to pump gas, or even buy anything unless you had cash. No cooking, either, because they couldn't run the vents in the kitchen.  So I had hot tea, hard boiled eggs, beef jerky, and pistachios. And protein mix.

The next few days brought power back intermittently.   There was an old propane wall furnace in the lodge. So it was cozy. During the day, I hiked through the Grand Canyon.  Once for 3 hours.  Hours, not miles!


When I finally could send a text out,  my nurse friend wrote back that I had just gone through Atkins induction phase.  The hardest part was over - why not go for it? And don't look back!

The stars at night were so close, it seems you could reach out and touch them. And so bright!

A few days later, I detoured through Sedona, AZ, hiking and bragging to some friends about "surviving" a massive snow storm.  Did I mention hiking? Not quite up to Cathedral Rock...maybe next time!

Headed home, I got stuck again in Santa Fe, NM! Pretty good places to get stuck! There was electricity there, but the interstates were closed.  I sludged through the narrow streets - another 2 days of mega hiking! I opted out of "tourist" food and stuck with the hard boiled eggs, hamburger patties, salads, and Atkins protein shakes. And Georgia O'Keeffe for days!

Finally, the storms were over and I headed for home.  But NO!    Route 66 was still closed.  So I drove through Roswell, NM. (But no aliens!)  And then to Carlsbad Caverns. And got my butt whipped by hiking there as well! Atkins protein shakes all the way.

When I got home, people thought I had gone for liposuction or a lap-band! "Right..." they said. "You go on *vacation* and come back sun-tanned and 15 pounds lighter!  Uh-huh...sure!" ;) 
"Stranded," I told them, "But not banded!"

I was stuck and incommunicado for 5 days.  What can you do when you can't do anything?  The trip was an apt metaphor for my life.  Stuck, bewildered, not in good shape, not knowing where, or how to start.  Driving through the desert alone, just an ipod loaded with all kinds of music - Sara McLachlan, Loreena McKennitt, Jeff Johnson.  It was a healing experience. 

Next time I go, I want to go camping, maybe ride the mules, with no worries about weight restrictions! Maybe even rent a dog.  Do they have a Rent-A-Dog? Well, they should!

And that's how I started Atkins!  On a trip. Hence the name Carb Tripper.  Plus I like The Beatles, and it's like Day Tripper.  

Thanks for reading. Hope it wasn't too long or boring. :D
Luv Ya!

28 comments:

  1. Anne,

    Thank you for sharing your story. I loved hearing it. I enjoy reading your blog and I appreciate your support of mine.

    While I do not do the Adkins plan I am a big believer in a low carb ( not no carb, just not bad carbs) lifestyle.

    You are doing great girl! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you got your blog name! I'm glad you explained it. And any good name story has to be long or it just isn't a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...a one way ticket, yeah!

    Love the story. Love the song. Love the blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one incredible story and much more interesting than "I couldn't fit in the restaurant booth one day" - altho everyone's story counts. Thanks for filling in the gaps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) great way to start your journey. WTG! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1stly ... I am a poop. I overlooked the part where you said you were HALF-WAY there yesterday having my head up a cow's ass apparently ...
    So big *HIGHFIVES* on your milestone!!!
    2ndly ... I love this story. It's the classic lemons out of lemonade (no sugar~that'd be carb-y) tale.
    Those stars ... did you try? Were you smiling? Did your heart fill up?

    ? ~~ did you join the army because of the strong woman you are or did the army bring that out in you? bit of both?

    Love, love, love your blog. But you know that. <3

    p.s. stop it modest mouse ~~ never too long. NEVER boring. always people who are interested in reading. k?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite an adventure!

    Sante Fe. One of my favorite spots on Earth. We considered moving there for awhile.

    BTW, there's a new bio pic about Georgia O'Keeffe coming to a cable TV screen near you - later this year. It was going to be an HBO production but I think it ultimately ended up at Lifetime. Joan Allen plays GO.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that was a incredible beginning on an incredible journey :) So when someone asks you what motivated you.....!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a great story, Anne. Glad you shared it. I can imagine your adventures in the wilderness. Sounds like a good time to me. There's some darn pretty in this country that is worth the drive to do no more than look.

    Congrats on achieving your milestones.

    I enjoyd Georgia O'Keeffe, too. Bet that was an enriching day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, thanks for stopping by my blog. You could have called it The Accidental Dieter. I love how you 'accidentally' went on Atkins. Good luck with your journey to a slimmer you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anne,

    Thanks for posting the story. Looks like the Universe had a plan for you. Great, great story. I, too, started my journey on Atkins. Oh, and I love AZ and NM - Santa Fe is one of my favorite places, as well.

    Congratulations on your half-way milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just the opposite of boring, and I was a bit disappointed that the story ended when it did! Youa re a great writer/story-teller Anne.

    Oh good news:
    http://www.flexpetz.com/how.html
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Flexpetz - they actually do have rent-a-dog! And with GPS! Best idea ever!
    Thanks again for all of your comments! What a wonderful group we have.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great story! I think you should do the trip again when you lose all the weight and see how much more fun it is!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your story. No, it wasn't too long at all!

    I'm fascinated by all the different roads we are taking to reach essentially the same goal: better health and a healthy weight.

    Keep on tripping! I'll keep reading you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. great story anneh! im with roxie, seems like the stars aligned just right so a certian person might be propelled to a certian journey.

    the idea of round two vacation with a more lean, fit body, and old yeller by your side sounds nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Annie H, what a great story, not too long or too boring AT ALL! You are a natural storyteller. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. how rad is that? I want to go on vacation and be stranded in the snow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this story. Amazing how a little snow can be so cleansing. (I should be pretty clean, I live in Minnesota.) What a cool way to start a life-changing journey.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 5 days, VLF, lots (LOTS) of hiking. Hmmm, 5 pounds is all I want, right? I'm going to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VLF????? What?
      Very Low CARB.... I hope you meant!
      ;D
      otherwize - GO for it!

      Delete
  21. I realize that it has been some time since this was posted but I enjoyed the read. Hope that your low carb adventures are continuing to benefit you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know it is now August of 2013, so it has been quite some time since you wrote this, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and plan to read more. I am a low-carber myself and I am sort of teetering on being primal/paleo. My sister is primal and it is nice because we can still swap recipes. I have lost a total of about 60 pounds and I have a lot left to lose. I would say I still have 140 left to lose. I have daily regimens that make me feel good and give me energy. Organic extra virgin coconut oil, chia seeds, organic and raw apple cider vinegar. I sent you a request on Facebook and have been looking at the pics of some of your meals/foods. Awesome! I'm always looking for ideas. Right now I am struggling financially and don't have two nickels to rub together, LOL! Looks like I am having cauliflower soup made in homemade chicken broth today since that is all I really have right now. Anyway, I am enjoying your blog and hope to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whelp have you made it back to GC to ride the mule train??!!??
    If you haven't, here's yr traveling partner right here - that's been a lifelong dream of mine...
    Time to make it a reality!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Indeed I did make it back! Glad I did beforeI was injured.
    http://carbtripper.blogspot.com/2011/03/mule-day-at-last.html

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!