15 October 2011

supplemental info

My grandmother had Pernicious Anemia.
So did my mother.
And probably my sister -
[but she's so vexed - it's not clear with her...]

So I went (yes, I went)
and got some B12 of the Methylcobalamin type!


I have a theory about weight gain -
Lots of micro-nutrients were probably missed
from lack of intake and lack of absorption....
Jack In The Box - and a Gallon of Coke - 
is not known for being a Life Sustaining Menu!

My mother - on what she thought was her deathbed - 
asked for LIVER!
Now - who the heck asks for liver?
Wine? Ice cream? Chocolate covered cherries?
But liver? Looking back, I know now -
She thought she was sick from Pernicious Anemia!
And somehow, this would save her.

So I have really been paying extra notice to my
Supplements. Note the word "Supplements."
Not intended to carry the entire weight of the
diet.... they are just that  - a supplement
to a healthy meal plan and lifestyle.
I guess you could say I am passionate about it!

"Healthy" foods - like quality proteins,
Quality fats (essential amino and fatty acids)
And some veggies!
Nothing that makes a person 
"Insane in the membrane...."
(Of the gut!)

Yay for food!
Real food.

7 comments:

  1. I love Celtic Sea Salt. And it's good for me.

    I agree, supplements can't undo bad food choices. I'll admit that for too many years I sure hoped they did!
    But I'm trying to do like you now, and make them just that, supplemental. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... I can see your face in your Grandmother's face. A definite connection there. :D
    I like wenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do look like your grandmother. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am anemic; going to the doc on Monday and will ask about this. I appreciate the information. I think I'll be getting some B-12 anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Key words: "Real Food". Indeed. Supplements are just as you say. Not the main course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just getting back to my supplements today, Anne. I've been very lax which is bad for a bypass patient. I take calcium citrate, B 12 injection, multi-vitamins, and B complex. I also take some D-3. The only issue I have is with the calcium which can really mess up my colon function.

    ReplyDelete
  7. O.k now I'm going to look for celtic sea salt ;) You really do look like your grandmother!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!