04 November 2011

pufa's

PUFA's are Poly Unsaturated Fatty Acids
They are the ENTIRE focal point of my diet.
Avoiding them, that is!
I believe the are the "missing link" in my weight-loss plan.
Which is a High Fat Diet.
[Yes, I am on a high-fat diet.]
Which also just happens to be LoCarb!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
From Wiki:
Only two EFAs are known for humans: 

All the other types and kinds of fat in foods 
are non-essential! They just come along for the ride.
Literally.
So I took some time and gathered this info.
Look at the amazing amounts of PUFA's in some
of the common foods we eat.

For now, don't worry too much about the Omega 3 to 6 ratio.
For now. THAT is another story for another day!
There's lots to be learned there, too (link)
For now - My focus is to increase the amount of Omega 3
[They call it n3] 
And work on decreasing the Omega 6.
[Which they call n6.]

Also - plant sources of Omega 3 have a "dismally low"
conversion to our human bodies.  [link] Did they tell you that
when they sold you that bottle of canola oil?
Probably not. 
About 10% converts. Actually, more like 1%
in some cases. Animals sources win out on this one.

And don't worry about DHA and EPA.
And how Omega 3 converts to them. (link)
That, too, is another story for another day!
And in time, decreasing the total number of PUFA's
to a dull roar in the background - of a healthy diet.
Maybe around 4 % (they say) total... 

Just notice - if you will, the NUMBERS involved
with the Omega 3's and Omega 6's -
In some of these fave foods!


  
Almonds - 1 cup

Sunflower Seeds

Walnuts - 1 cup

Pistachio Nuts!

Nuts have alot of Omega 6 fatty acids...
 (yikes!)
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

 
Avocado

Butter - 1 ounce


Cheddar Cheese

Chicken No Skin


Cocoa Powder Unsweetened


Coconut Cream 1 ounce


Coconut Oil - 1 ounce


Lard - 1 ounce

Olive Oil - 1 ounce

Beef Tallow - 1 ounce

Ground Round - 3 ounces


Hard - Boiled Eggs


Heavy Whipping Cream

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Compare this to - say - Mcdonald's Big Mac and Fries


McDonald's French Fries!

Big Mac - Who Knew?
Interesting!
 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

And now for some good news!

Salmon Fish - 3 ounces

Sardines - 1 ounce

Cod Fish - 3 ounces

Seal Oil 


Tuna Fish - 3 ounces


Spinach - 1 cup


Squash

Bacon


My Typical Day







All data can be found at:
http://nutritiondata.self.com
An awesome program to analyze your diet!


WOW - that's all I can say.
I feel like I was blind, but now can see.
YAY - for learning!
Lots to learn about PUFA's.
It's not always about eating a snack
Because-We-Really-Like-Chocolate-And-We-Always-Have-This.
Some of our food choices are just not so healthy!
Healthy alternatives abound.
Time to maybe look at a better way?

3 comments:

  1. This is my fave "theory" post by far -
    I looked for this info for nearly 20 years..
    And worked on putting it together here for nearly 8 hours.
    Hope someone got something out of it!
    Most significant info I have ever heard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never fail to learn new things from you!! I'll never say the words bad fats now without knowing what they really are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you SOOOO much for posting this info. This is all totally new to me. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. on to new adventures!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!