20 October 2011

is low carb expensive?



I have a couple of friends in real life 
who went off their LC diets,
and ate chicken noodle soup and ramen noodles.
They said it was cheaper that way.

Of course it is. But it doesn't seem too satisfying.
Or healthy. Remember - health?
What good is saving a couple of bucks
if you risk losing everything?
Or if you are always hungry?

Weight (alone) is not health.
But when they gained some weight back,
It didn't help their health!
And they were none too happy, either.
Winking smile
Adds new meaning to the term
"Penny wise and POUND foolish!"

So, one of them challenged me. 
Said that I would have done the same thing.
Well.... probably not.
I could live on a good Protein Powder Mix
for a dang long time. And like it!
Mixed with essential fatty acids - 
and a good vitamin.... yep!
Punch
But still, it got me to thinking.
Ever since the world went to hell in an economic handbasket,
Is a Low Carb diet a far-fetched dream?



Ground Beef ... $3 - $4 a pound...... 3 to 4 servings each
Brisket....  $4 - $5 a pound ...... lots of servings there 
Eggs (fancy).... $3 a dozen...... 6 servings there 
Ham (little block) .... $8 ...... makes 8 large slices 
Bacon (thick cut) .... $8 a package ...... 7 - 10 servings 
Cheese (cheddar)... $5 a block...... who knows how many servings!
But it's alot. Mine goes bad before I eat it all. Just sayin'... 
Plate
Liver (calf) $2 - $4 a pound .... 4 or 5 servings 
Butter (regular) ... $4 a pound .... lasts forever 
Butter (Kerry Gold) $5 a package ..... lasts till it's gone

Tuna (albacore).... $2 a can ......  1 or 2 servings 
Chicken (regular).... $Cheap as anything 



Veggies From a Can.... $2 for the good stuff..... maybe 2 servings 
Frozen veggies.... $3 to $4 a bag ..... lots of servings 
Fresh veggies.... $Who knows, but it's not that bad, in season 
Salad stuff.... $3 bucks for a bag ..... couple of servings 
Salad stuff....  $5 chop your own ...... lots more servings 

And these are regular Grocery Store foods.
This was all from Tom Thumb.
Fanciest chain in town.
Not couponing.... not food on sale.
Not organic food, either - or from a ranch somewhere.
Just not alot of junk and going out to eat.
Boring, everyday foods. Maybe a
 little Spartan at times. But pretty good LC!
Thumbs up
I don't eat grains. And just a little dairy.
Both of which can be pretty cheap, too!
Well.... cheaper than a steak, at least!
But not bettah.

Any thoughts?

12 comments:

  1. I think any diet can be a cheap or as costly as you want it to be.
    But certainly, processed foods cost alot more!
    Ironically, they couldn't PAY US to eat the stuff....
    But WE PAY them - to let us eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couponing does save alot of $$$. I stockpile that same tuna when its .30 cents a can, and frozen veggies when they are .50 or less, for example. There are sales on shredded/block cheese.

    With coupons, even the processed foods can be a bargain. I agree, as consumers we have a choice whether to buy processed food or not. I couldn't eat a steady diet of ramen, but if it came down to paying bills or eating, I'd prolly reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comment: "can be cheap or as costly as you want it to be."

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, it depends on how important it is to me to feel good. Living on a fixed income of social security I am eating wheat free, gluten free, low carb, low sugar. I am losing weight. More importantly, I am more energetic, involved more in my life, don't get drowsy or ouchy or moody. Research on the internet has helped me find ways to cook and prepare meals that are low carb as well as no wheat. To eat less in quantity and feel more satisfied is worth a few dollars more at the store. But it is not blowing the budget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Sunday through Friday foods are VERY inexpensive. Kroger brand frozen broccoli is often 10 bags for $10. One bag is enough for 4 servings so to make my meals for the 6 days costs less than $7. To go with the broccoli I break up an astronaut chicken or two (pre-roasted at the grocery). They are under $5 per chicken so even if I use two that is less than $2 per meal. I have one Quest bar per day which is hmm, I think $2. So all together I guess my Sunday through Friday meals cost less than $11 per day. My freeday is a different story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does take some planning since I live on a very small SS pension! I don't use any packaged or highly processed foods anymore so this way of eating is quite a bit more expensive than the cheap, unhealthy way I ate 10 years ago. There aren't as many coupons to use when you do low carb but I use them whenever I find them and store specials are a big help. I stock up when things are on sale, make large batches of food and freeze in meal size portions so that I have my own "fast food". I love it when I can take something out of the freezer and pop it in the microwave a short time later. FYI RE cheddar blocks: I buy those large 2 pound blocks and cut it into 4 smaller blocks and wrap each one then freeze them in a large freezer bag. It's a tiny bit more crumbly in texture when cut into snacking cubes later, but perfect for shredding and using in cooked recipes. A little crumble in my cubes is a small price to pay for a cheaper way to get large cheddar blocks & not have to waste any! Also, butter can be frozen so I stock up when it goes on sale. I've also learned to make my own sausage (bulk, not stuffed), yogurt, mayo, ghee and, my newest discovery cream cheese, so I save money on those things too. Our ancestors did it and so can we. I'm one who was well spoiled by convenience foods, fast food, packaged everything so if I can change, anyone can. It just takes a bit of advanced planning and a little more work. I do a big shopping at the beginning of each month. I buy huge roasts when they are on sale and have the meat guy at the grocery store slice or grind these into steaks, boneless pork chops and fresh ground pork or beef. Sometimes the sale states "roast only" so if the meat guy can't do it I cut them up myself and bag them into meal size portions. I usually also cut a few of the steaks into cubes for stew & soup recipes. I learned how to grind beef in my food processor so I don't have to by that cheap ground beef that is actually a slimy meat slurry frozen into a log (you know what I mean) Those are usually just over $2 a pound but I can usually find chuck roasts on sale for around the same price and now I know what's in my ground beef and don't have to worry about those meat slurries anymore. (ps the fast food joints use patties made with the slurry stuff, I think Wendy's is the only one that uses real meat) I take some of my ground beef and make a dozen hamburger patties which I bag individually and freeze in a large freezer bag. It's great to just grab how ever many patties I need for a quick lunch. I wish I could afford grass fed, free range meats but I can't. My favorite grocery store has hormone free naturally raised chickens, whatever that is LOL. They are $1.69 a pound which is almost twice the price of the others but I buy them because it's as close as I can come to free range meat which is much more costly. Guess I've rambled enough for now Anne, love your humor! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you break all this stuff down for us! Low carb is what I found myself to be doing after months of not even realizing. If my boyfriend and i can do it on our miniscule budget, its definitely not expensive. Getting in bulkloads of veggies in every meal possible is so filling, so tasty and bulks up even half a serving of meat.. thats what we have to do on the days we're super strapped with little groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I can't speak to Low-Carb. I can tell you, though, that eating a lot of organic produce in a Primarian/Semi-Primal way IS expensive. BUT...feeling great is priceless. And I feel GREAT. I've cut back on meds. Take fewer vitamins (since my food is pretty damn nutritious, and I only need to fill holes where I can't eat certain stuff due to allergies or need extra of others cause of conditions).

    Cheap noodles ain't gonna keep me feelign great. I'd regain weight. And I'd be back on meds with copays and might get diabetes. Yeah, I'll spend it on fruits and veggies and meats and eggs and dairy before I give it to the drug industry and pay extra for 4x clothes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eating healthy has its cost but it is all about priorities and about how much your value your health. Junk food decreases your life expectancy. I would rather pay a little extra now and add some years to my life. I want to grow into a feisty little old lady who is still hiking and camping in her 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it can be more expensive but certainly not out of the realm of possible. However, I go shopping only about once a month or maybe once every two weeks and holy crow, I almost had a stroke when I saw how much food had jumped from my last trip! It's almost frightening. I don't buy junk food. I don't buy what we won't use. I try to coupon it as much as I can. AND, I never, never throw anything out anymore. I'll put it into something new I'm making. I just can't stand to waste anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AWESOME comments, y'all! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eating healthy can take some effort, buy things on sale. Its so worth is!!! I have worked in a grocery store for 20 plus years and if you want to shop the sales, and stock up it can be done.... If you don't want to be careful with your choices eating junk food is cheaper it boils all down to what is your choice? Whats important to you?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!