04 August 2010

the runaway tummy



The Runaway Tummy

Once there was a little tummy who wanted to run away.
So she said to her mother, “I am running away.”
“If you run away,” said her mother, “I will run after you.
For you are my little tummy.”


“If you run after me,” said the little tummy,
“I will become a fish in a trout stream 
and I will swim away from you.”


“If you become a fish in a trout stream,” said her mother,
“I will become a fisherman and I will fish for you.”
“If you become a fisherman,” said the little tummy,
“I will become a rock on the mountain, high above you.”


“If you become a rock on the mountain high above me,”
said her mother, “I will become a mountain climber,
and I will climb to where you are.”


“If you become a mountain climber,”
said the little tummy,
“I will be a crocus in a hidden garden.”


If you become a crocus in a hidden garden,”
said her mother, “I will be a gardener. And I will find you.”


“If you are a gardener and find me,”
said the little tummy, “I will be a bird
and fly away from you.”


“If you become a bird and fly away from me,”
said her mother, “I will be a tree that you come home to.”


“If you become a tree,” said the little tummy,
“I will become a little sailboat,
and I will sail away from you.”


“If you become a sailboat and sail away from me,”
said her mother, “I will become the wind
and blow you where I want you to go.”


“If you become the wind and blow,” said the little tummy,
“I will join a circus and fly away on a flying trapeze.”


“If you go flying on a flying trapeze,” said her mother,
“I will be a tightrope walker,
and I will walk across the air to you.”


“If you become a tightrope walker and walk across the air,”
said the tummy, “I will become a little girl,
and run into a house.”


“If you become a little girl, and run into a house,”
said the mother, “I will become your mother
and catch you in my arms and hug you.”


“Shucks,” said the tummy, “I might just as well
stay where I am, and be your little tummy.”


And so she did.
“Have a carrot,” said the mother.
......................................................................................
My own weight-loss journey takes many forms;
Each one is a step beyond the one before it.
Sometimes it's true; what we resist will persist!
Maybe it's time to change perspectives?
.............................................................................
The Runaway Bunny
By Margaret Wise Brown
Illustrations by Clement Hurd
1942



YouTube video
Spiegel Im Spiegel


"The Runaway Bunny" was also featured
in the movie "Wit" - one of my favorites.
Along with this piece.
The story was referred to as
"A little allegory for the soul."









16 comments:

  1. This was wonderful... I had never heard of it before.

    A change of perspective... yes. Sometimes that is ALL we can change! Yet, how powerful that can be.

    After I started reading about the little tummy/bunny... I was all caught up in the adorable story. Loved it!

    Loretta
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always find such wonderful ways to get to the point of what you mean. Sheer genius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous.
    And I agree with Kimberly. You communicate beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job Anne. Love the use of Runaway Bunny.
    xo jj

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was born in 1942
    Runaway Bunny, I remember you
    Runaway Tummy, go ahead
    run away from me
    I will let you go

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of this before, but I liked it, and yes you are genious at work with your creativity, and keeping ua always interested. thank you Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are truly a Healer.

    With Gratitude,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm. WF has these local bunches of rainbow carrots right now. Will have to get some next week when I get back.

    Cute rewrite and thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of your very best posts ever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL...my tummy never decided to go anywhere...it knows I'll send down whatever it tells me...I'm my tummy's bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spiegel Im Spiegel is exactly what I needed to experience today. Thank you. I especially love "Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved" by Soren Kierkekaard. (sp?!) I haven't felt this calm and centered in a while. XOXO Robin

    ReplyDelete
  12. go kill your fucking self

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!