02 October 2021

Oktoberfest Pandemic

My calendar said
I was to be in Hays Kansas 
October 1 - quick vacation! 

To eat some German Food
And generally hang out. 
I went to college there. 
And I wanted to see it again. 

Did you think we would still be
In a pandemic in 2021? 
We’re coming up to the 
2 year mark. In January 
We Nurses were on alert 
Before the gen pop. 

So no Buffalo. 
No Hays. No mothers grave. 
Not this year. 
And not next year. 
I think it’s wise to prepare for
The pandemic lasting till 2023. 

But 2023 springtime 
Watch out! 
I’ll be doing some travel assignments. 

I think the VA Hospitals
Use travel nurses. 
Which would be awesome. 
The best of both worlds. 
They usually hire Veterans 
Preferentially. 


Denver, Colorado. 


Portland, Maine. 


Anchorage, Alaska. 


Santa Fe, New Mexico
Or any tribal assignment 
In NM or Arizona. 


Flagstaff, Arizona


Portland, Oregon 
 

But first- Covefe!

My ex loved to plan. 
And plan she did! 
She had her whole education 
Mapped out before she started. 
She got off to a false start
And audited the classes she needed. 
Until she walked the stage 
Wearing her tam o’ shanter- PhD! 

Me- I just kinda go and make the best of it. 
Which is odd, because I’m a freaky
Micromanager in every other area. 
When I travel, I have the trip
Laid out to the hour. 
With food choices all made in advance. 

And now, nursing is exploding! 
I’m not crazy about working in a Hot Zone. 
If I were 30 - definitely!
I already had Covid and 
I sure don’t want to get it again. 
Not for any dollar amount. 

Plus- I feel a mass exodus is coming. 
Nurses are burned out
And leaving by the droves. 
I came in to nursing in 1990
During a mass exodus of staff - 
Related to the AIDS Crisis. 
Nurses said the same thing then
As they do now. 
Not enough is known
And not enough is being done. 
So I had cart blanche  choice
Of where I wanted to work. 
I’m just now healed enough 
To combine my love for travel
With my love for nursing. 


But first- a plan. 
I could get certified in hospice
To make sure I’m 100% 
Marketable. And in demand. 


And also first
Get in top shape! 
I have 18 months 
So I can do this! 

Miss Ernestine Shepherd 
Started body building at 56
When she had trouble
Getting in her swimsuit. 
And look at her now 
In her 80s! 

So- If 60 really is the new 40
Then keep your eye on me! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!