10 October 2021

nurses to the rescue


When people ask me how my day was, 
I now lie- and smile- and say
“GREAT!”
With all the enthusiasm of a 
High School Cheerleader 
On Prom Night. 

Because if I tell the truth, 
They think I’m complaining. 
Or burned out
Or the job is killing me. 
Or I need to quit and drive for Uber. 


The truth is
There’s very little intrinsic joy in what I do. 
We have to bring the joy
If there’s any joy to be found. 


These kids never recover 
And they seldom get better. 
Plus the bullying, and lazy nurses. 
And long hours- 
It’s toxic. I get it. 
But that’s how nursing is. 


It’s not Grey’s Anatomy. 
It’s not glamorous. 
People don’t want to see 
What is behind the curtain. 
Because in every case- 
It’s a human condition 
Of illness, and often- suffering. 
That’s what nursing is-
To help the people who need it. 


Most days it’s me doing laundry
And mopping, and making beds, 
and putting up supplies,
Cleaning up poop
And vomit and pee-pee, 


And working out little arms and legs -
With little braces- 
And little lungs with big machines- 
And suctioning green snot - 
And giving meds meds meds - 
Through little tubes-


And charting charting charting-
For low pay and maybe a few smiles. 
All done with a fresh face, starched scrubs,
And a loving smile. 

Or yet another “I got your nose!” Game
From your favorite Sweet Baby. 


Do sick kids know they’re sick? 
I’m not sure they do. 
After 30 years of taking care of 
Traumatic Brain Injuries
And Birth Defects 
And some pretty serious diseases-
I can just admit that 
I’m not sure. 


Pediatric Hospice is not for every Nurse. 
Kids didn’t do any of this to themselves;
What they have didn’t come from 
Poor lifestyle choices -
As is often the case with Adults. 
 I have many non-vaxxer friends
On a vent right now
Because they took a chance
And paid the ultimate price. 

By the way- 
Scottish Rite turns 100 today! 
That’s lots of kids! 


If you’re lucky,  you get immortalized 
For 15 minutes of fame
Before some other kids stomp it out. 


Nursing is more like the chaos
 and fast pace of Scrubs


With the frustration and 
Underfunding of M*A*S*H


Throw in the bullying
(There’s one in every case!)

Throw in some  SnapChat filters-
Some math homework-
A few stray cats-
Cold lunches, cold coffee-
Doctor appointments-
Van rides, endless pranks-
Slime, occasional crying-
Cartoons, and walks outside,
And a mirage begins to form -
An oasis of nursing care
In the desert of the reality of 
Chronically Sick Kids. 


Years of grooming and cultural expectations 
And the idea of helping people 
As a job 
Makes for a very odd career! 

Less than half the people 
Who start, actually make it though 
Nursing School. 
It’s abnormally hard. 
And now with Covid-
OMG it’s a slaughterhouse. 



Still applies every day! 
With much love ~
Your humble Nurse Anne






1 comment:

  1. Some of the images are from the commercial Sick Kids VS
    https://youtu.be/vh-WS1FGKTM

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!