23 October 2021

not a reading expert


I’m not a reading expert 
BUT I hung out with one 
So I know …. Absolutely nothing! 
Except I know how to read. 

My patient has a little sister 
Who comes in every day for “school”
Where we read, write, and bedazzle. 

She’s 6 is 1st grade. 
English is a second language 
For these kids. 
And their English reading is
Falling way way way (way) behind. 

I started to read at age 4. 
And was the best reader in the class at age 5. 
We didn’t have kindergarten-
Age 5 was first grade for me. 


So I made a map of how to proceed. 

1. Reading flash cards - just words. 
Rapid recognition. Lightening round. 
Here I made 200 cue cards. 
We do about 100 a day. 
Mostly one syllable words. 
2. Reading for comprehension - paragraphs. 
3. Writing the words by rote. (Visual copying)
4. Writing from hearing the spoken words. 
5  “Fun With Words”
Introducing concepts like
Rhyming, alliteration, adjectives etc
Naming verbs, nouns, etc. 
6. Being read to in English. 
That’s the most fun. That’s the reward!
I asked mom to get some library books
But she always gets the wrong reading level. 


They have Quran classes already 
All in Arabic. 
Insha Allah means “God Willing”
Or If God is willing. 

These kids tend to reverse 
lower case b,d, p,q, and y. 
Plus, she tends to transpose
And read from  right to left. 
She’s not dyslexic- 
In her primary language,
She’s spot- on. 

To further complicate matters, 
The primary spoken language is Pashto. 

We nurses work on the rough spots!
True confession time:
Nursing was not my first choice
For Army School. 
Language was. 
So I have that much going for me. 
Plus Pediatric Nursing most always 
Has a Speech and Language 
Component built in. 
So I have decades of experience with this. 


Name Something Game:
Fill in the blanks. 
This is fun and silly. 


I bought a book with activities 
And glossy pictures. 

I want to make this fun. 
She’s 6 in first grade and struggles. 
It’s never too early to start. 


Next - Math With Skittles! 

1 comment:

  1. The hardest part is getting the kids to sit still, and pay attention! They have about an 8 second attention span.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!