23 May 2022

family ties


I was raised by Hippie Wannabes
Who thought Flower Power 
Was “Right On,” and Women
And People of Color deserve 
Better treatment. Equal treatment. 

My mother cheered for protesters,
And encouraged me to stand up
When I saw something wrong happening. 

I was the Alex P Keaton of my group. 
First one to go to college. 
First one escape. 


Imagine my Mother’s shock 
When I joined the Army - voluntary! 
She could not imagine it. 
It was so I could have a career. 
You can’t really argue with that. 
I was tired of being poor. 


I personally believe now 
That the government won’t provide
Free health care and education 
Because if they did that-
It would end their fresh supply
Of military people the US needs
To be the SuperPower of the world. 

Mother was right in her questioning 
Authority. She had no clue
How deep the rabbit hole went. 
They seem ruthless at times. 


That’s me! 
Kind of embrace it. 
Lean into it. 
Learn about it. 


I guess where one person 
Sees restriction-
Another sees freedom. 
I decided to run with it. 
And use the system. 
And hopefully not get
Gobbled up by it. 


Kinda like low carb. (Lol!)
It’s too restrictive for me 
To give up real food. 
I don’t want to eat rice cakes 
And fat-free cheese. 
I’d rather enjoy Steak and Eggs,
And give up junk food. 
Give up kiddie cookies. 


I saw an opportunity. 
Better health. Keeping my feet. 
Having all my teeth. Not being in pain. 
We talk about longer life
But a long life doesn’t count
If you’re too sick to enjoy it. 


 But first, Covefe. 
As I was sipping my morning brew,
I was going over a letter I got 
From the IRS. 


I’ve been audited like 17 times. 
I’ve been hounded and threatened 
By the IRS since 2001. 
One agent even told me 
I should go kill myself 
Because the amount I owed was
More than I could repay in my natural life. 
This is 100% sworn true. 


I found out last night 
That I am a victim of Identity Theft! 
Someone has been using my SSN
To rack up all kinds of trouble. 
I was just released from it all 
This very day. 
Amen. And Amen! 


May I never be involved 
In that kind of Dark Web 
Entanglement ever again. 


Now, to secure my future
Without the IRS stalking me. 
Like a fugitive. 
I feel like I’ve been let out of prison
For a crime I didn’t commit. 


I love the rain!
Take a minute and enjoy 
A cuppa and look out the virtual
Window with me-
And let’s be grateful for all the good things. 
Ahhhhhhh- that’s nice! 


Rock solid sleep. 


Many steps. 
It takes many steps 
To be clear. 
For some it’s 12. 
For me, it’s about 5,012. 

Now that I have 2 days off a week,
I’ll have one day for rest
And one day for chores and errands. 
Todays a rest day. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!