10 February 2022

a contract is a contract is a contract



So. I went to Matilda The Musical. 
Playing at Casa Manana 
In Fort Worth, Tx. 


I grew up in DFW and Casa
Holds some of my dearest memories. 
It was once a theater in the round
Wheee every seat was good
And the stage rotated so everyone could 
Just about reach and an touch the performers. 
The dome design of the building 
Is by Buckninster Fuller himself. 


I have a long history of seeing musicals. 
I see every performance I can. Every time. 
And when I can’t see them,
I sing them. All day. Every day. 


Well. It turned out that because of COVID,
Matilda The Musical was postponed 
For 2 years. OK. Broadway was shuttered. 
So yes. Totally expected. 
The longest dry spell in history!


The trouble came when Casa Manana
Changed the billing from a Youth series (2020)
To a Broadway series. (2022)

The Youth series typically has cheaper seats,
Earlier start times, they only last 60 minutes. 
However- 
This was billed as a full Broadway production!

And here’s the errors
1) They used a recorded track. 
All the local musicians have been
Out of work for 2 years. 
And they played a karaoke recording. 

2) They paid the actors the youth rate. 
Not the Broadway rate. 
Clear violations. 
These shows are planned months
 and years in advance. 
So you can’t say Casa didn’t have time
To implement the changes. 


So I did a few posts. 
Facebook, Twitter, TicTok
IG, Snapchat- that something is “sus”
I got some pushback at first. 
Name calling and such. 

But I didn’t stop there. 
I wrote to the Dallas Morning News,
Fort Worth Star Telegram,
Texas Monthly Magazine,
Billboard Magazine,
Broadway World News,
CNN MSN PBS
CBC NBC ABC
And now Carb Tripper World News. 

I tagged the Mayor of Fort Worth 
FW city council
FW Black City Council,
FW Hispanic City Council
Cultural Arts District 
And many of the corporate sponsors
Of the show. Im ballsy like that!


Never underestimate the power
Of FaceBook and social media! 
This took off like crazy! 
All within hours of my posting. 

I tagged Bettey Buckley,
Andrew Lloyd Webber, MacIntosh,
Everyone from Wicked, Les Miz,
Phantom, Ave Q, Zanna Don’t !
including all cast, crew, orchestrators,
Understudies, sponsors,
Choreographers, directors, and
All the adult actors in Matilda. 
Everyone I could find- I hashtagged. 


A big social medial fight broke out
“F you- mind yer fucking  business…” 
“You’re just an old lady who didn’t get 
A part in the play, and now you’re mad…”etc.


But then- a ray of light came through!
One of the top guys read the complaints 
And made some calls - and yes! 
He publicly admitted he was wrong
And had been fooled by Casa Manana. 
They have violated at least 
3 Union Contracts and 
Collective Bargaining Agreements. 


Hah! It’s good to support the underdog. 

Ready for a fight! 
It’s a good thing! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!