06 September 2023

yesternight


Came home yesternight 
after my 14 hour day, 
And had a big heart-to-heart talk
About  the thermostat. 

We agreed on 78 to 80 when we’re gone. 
72 at night. Post menopausal women
With no kids - my indulgence. 

And for those 2 or 3 times a week
We hang out watching tv, 74 to 76. 
Surely we need to be comfortable 
But not at any price. 
Not just yet. Not like that. 


Got home yestermorrow, 
and the house was cold! 
Snot-Dripping cold! 
72° F. But the thermostat said 78°. 


Cats don’t care about AC. 
They have vertical pupils. 
So nocturnal and desert creatures. 


I am entitled to have input
In all house decisions that affect me. 
The electric bill is like $600. 
This is the hottest summer on record. 
This North Texas Heat Dome is real. 

I was worried. That’s not a casual thing. 
Housting is breaking 
Many of my friends. 

I need to have a say. 
Compromise may be required. 
I need to be able to speak my concerns 
Without being mocked, scolded,
Made fun of, or told to get a blanket.
I need to be able to talk 
about what’s going on 
without getting threatened to move out. 
Adults do that. They talk. 
They calmly discuss ideas. 
No name calling. 
No “You’re bi-polar!” attacks. 
No 14 page texts all night. 
No knocking on my door at 2 am
Telling me how everyone hates me. 


It’s not about who has lived here the longest. 
It’s not about who is (airquotes) 
best friends with the home owner. 
It’s about me having a say in what goes on. 
And me being able to trust my housemates. 
And live in relative peace. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!