27 August 2019

sleeping blog

I’d been hoarding a bottle of 
Cabernet Blanc- my fave wine 
-“Saving” is a better word-
To ceremoniously say goodbye 
To my dear friend, Vino.
After almost a year of sleep studying 
Has proven to me that wine 
Is no good for sleep. 

I poured the chilled delight 
and sat down to drink it. 
With a nice show. 
And a hamburger. 

Suddenly - and somehow- 
I can’t work out the logic -
The cat jumped up 
and knocked it from my hand. 

Wine went everywhere all over me- 
Soaking my shirt,
My hair, all of me! 
He also broke the wine glass. 

That was NOT the send off 
I was looking for. 
It is what it is, I guess. 

At least I got one sip. 

Ahhh - rain. 
My fave beautiful thing. 

Cheese and eggs. That’s it. 
Behold- the Chaffle. 
Cheese/Waffle. 


My problem with substitutes. 
You never would eat several cups of cheese. 
And yet we do- with substitutes. 
Or half a head of cauliflower. 
Or two cups of nuts. 

I mostly subscribe myself 
To a lifestyle without bread. 
Not fillers and substitute breads. 

Sometimes-yes. Not all the time. 

Now I think we’ll see 
the end of summer here. 
Or at least the beginning of the end. 

I never drank wine before 
when I was at my heaviest. 
I hated it. 
Now I’m allergic to it. 
The reds cause heartburn. 
And the whites are - meh.

Plus a cheap wine is an insult
To humanity. And a moderate 
Bottle will set you back $10. 
Which adds up fast. 

And it makes no real contribution 
To health, fitness, or well being. 

Maybe one day, a little glass with dinner...
But not as a sleep adjunct. 
Wine is the opposite of sleep. 
‘‘Twas Ever Thus. 

1 comment:

  1. Lucky me! I got to sleep over 20 hours in two days. I guess I needed it. Zzzzz

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!