22 January 2019

cc nurse


Crappy sleep
Because I never learn
That my middle-aged body 
Doesn’t get to do whatever it likes. 
Or once liked when I was like 20 or 30. 


Took a little walk today. 
Getting back to normal. 
A new normal. 


Drinking snake juice makes me 
not the least bit hungry all day. 


So I’m a Hospice Nurse. 
I am the one who sits 
at the bedside of the dying person. 
It’s truly end of life work. 

It’s very quiet and calm work. 

I give the meds like morphine. 
And other opiates. 
I provide comfort as people transition 
To death. 

I make sure they are clean and dry and safe
And are not anxious or in pain. 

This is what I do. 
Most people don’t get better. 
Everyone dies-  many on my shift. 
They asked to be on Hospice. 
The families are ready for when they pass 
For the most part. 
The hospice team helps with that. 
And most of my patients are 
not awake when I meet them. 

My best boss put it this way:
You are assigned a patient. 
You go to their home. 
You knock on the door,
And meet the family,
You have about 8 seconds
To get them to like you 
While you take them through 
The worst days 
They’re ever going to have. 

It’s really the best kind of Nursing;
It’s gentle and nurturing. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anne,
    I'm so sorry to hear that you are having a tough time.
    What you are doing is awesome and helps so many people in their darkest, most dear-inducing time.
    I just read Dr Kathryn Mannix's book and I am seriously in awe of the profession you are a vital part of.
    Hugs, and be kind to yourself
    Bless you, Deniz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are doing invaluable service Ann...
    BTW, do you add ACV to your snake juice? I am still fine-tuning my recipe as it seems to be very easy to upset my GI tract. 😳

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!