23 June 2019

fighting temptation


Summer at Walmart 


Summer in Phoenix. 
They catch a break at night. 


We don’t catch a break at night. 
My thermostat is set at 68 
Every night. 
So much humidity. 


With any “luck” at all, 
(More like impeccable mega-planning)
This will be my last summer 
In Dallas, sweltering. 

I wanted low carb pie so hard. 
The toddler /ego/ reptilian brain
In me threw a fit and started 
Hostage Negotiations. 
“If you give me the pie...
Then we’ll be happy and start fasting. 
Just this one time. 
One last meal. 
Come on! Please!”

“NO!” said I,
Rather emphatically. 
“You / I / We
Said that last time. 
And the time before that. 
And before that. 
So no. 
Be gone.”

And I had 3 sausage patties instead. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!