20 August 2018

Goat Eid


Got my Henna done
For the celebration festival 
Of Eid al-Adha. 
The most Holy Day of the Muslim year. 


From Wikipedia:
It honors the willingness of Abraham 
to sacrifice his son as an act of obedience 
to God’s command. But, before Abraham
 could sacrifice his son, God provided a lamb to sacrifice instead. In commemoration 
of this, an animal is sacrificed 
and divided into three parts: 
one third of the share is given to the poor and needy; another third is given to relatives, friends and neighbors; 
and the remaining third is retained by the family. 

Big Eid is like Christmas Day 
and every holiday rolled into one. 


Eid is actually Tuesday. 
This was just a bazaar. 
Sparklers. Food. 
And I got a new hijab. 
Animal print. 
And it’s made from a cooler fabric. 


I’m quite certain this bread
- Nan, Pan, Roti- 
 isn’t worth eating. 
Only homemade is worth it. 
I’m certain it’s pizza crust. 


But this tea, though. 
Cardamom with whole milk. 
OMG. 


As I was getting my Henna treatment, 
A very kind woman came up 
And asked if I was hungry. 
Her Grandaughter was the henna artist.

Hungry? Well yes. Yes, I am! 
She took some Chicken Biryani, and 
Tore off little bits with her hands. 
She said “Open up!”
And put it in my mouth. 
She stood there and fed me 
Nearly a whole plate of food! 

It was so unusual and unexpected! 
I was in tears almost. 
I don’t even know her. 
She just looked after me. 
She said “Come to Mama!”
I guess I did just that! 

And that is what Eid is all about. 
❤️

2 comments:

  1. And she was my age. Not much older. And that was the best chicken ever! I want more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful experience. Beautiful henna too. Eid Mubarak!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!