05 January 2019

vigil

My little minion cups. 
All of a sudden, 
Everything is yellow. 

Good to get some Jack Kruse sunshine. 
The baby never got any sun. 
And the Mom and I tried to take her out
 for a little walk when the weather allowed. 

Her little Baby Butt Diaper! 
When I first started she might have been
 5 pounds and some change. 

So the family had a Rosary and Vigil for The Baby, 
And the Big Sister was there. 
She ran to me, and hugged me, 
and took me by the hand, and said 
“Anne! Come see my Baby Sister!” 

Which of course, I did. 

The priest asked me if anyone 
wanted to get up and share a story.
 He said it would be a great time 
for caregivers to speak!  So I did. 
I called Olivia “Little Love Dove.” 
Because she was like a Holy Being.
 Like the Holy Spirit just would shine 
through her and smile through her.
 True and beautiful story. 
She was Love Personified. 

So I went to have a moment 
with the Baby, and the Big Sister 
had put a little toy in the casket! 
It wasn’t even a toy. It was the 
edge of those little interlocking play mats! 
Big Sister and I had many Tea Parties 
with those silly things. 

The red ones are “strawberry.” 
And the green ones are “cactus.”
Just so you know. 
And the floor is lava. 

And for some reason, at that moment,
Standing at her little casket,
 I knew everything was going to be ok. 
That was actually perfect. 
It was like I had fallen, and was pinned under 
some heavy velvet theatre curtains-
 as if the curtains had fallen on me. 
And in that very moment, seeing that toy, 
someone raised the curtains. 
I physically felt a weight come off of me. 

I told the Mom that was what I was most grateful for. 
That silly little playmat edge
Big Sister had taken it with her to the funeral home. 
I wonder if was planning to give it to the baby. 
👶🏽 
Afterwards, everyone stands around. 
You know how they stand around.
 Nowhere near the casket, of course. 

This little coffin. All draped in white. 
All flanked with wreaths on easels. 
And the little Baby
 just being so calm and peaceful
 in her little white outfit...
She hated headbands and she had one on,
So I knew she was ok with it now. 

Some bigger kids came up and touched her. 
Maybe 4 to 5 years old kids. 

“She’s cold!”
Yes. 
“She not having any life!”
Yes. 
The put their hands on her chest 
and I told them to be gentle 
and not really handle her so much please. 
And please don’t be pressing 
on “my” little “Liv.”
People whose name is Olivia 
Offer get called “Liv.”
I like it. 

Where the heck are the parents 
at a time like this! 

“Is she dead?”
Pregnant pause. 
Well, she is. Yes. 

I’m never really sure how to handle this. 
All the years as a nurse and no 2 people agree. 


So the funeral is today. 
It's an all day deal. 
And it’s going to be a pretty day! 

1 comment:

  1. The kids knew she was dead ! Or they would have asked for a blanket or coat when they said she was cold. Because that’s what you do when someone is cold. So yeah.
    The “D” word. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!