12 April 2020

sleep on it


When I was 17
I ran away from home
- With my mother’s blessings -
And lived in a small town
In Northwest Kansas. 


From Dallas,Texas, 
To Hays, Kansas. 
Population 2,000. 


And Great Bend, Kansas -
Where I stood on the corner 
With my drumsticks 
Every night until I was seen
By Mitch Markovich...
3 times consecutive undefeated 
Snare drum champion of DCI -
Drum Corp International. 
And he took me on as his pupil. 












And there I stayed
Until I ran out of money for college
And joined the Army. 

I need to go back 
And tell it “goodbye”
So I can move forward 
With my life and not have to 
repeat those same mistakes. 

Or at least eat a hamburger 
And drink a beer.
And see my mom’s grave. 
I’ve never seen it. 

I feel good about an Autumn visit. 
Kansas is July is a whipping. 

Kansas is October-
Might be memorable.

2 comments:

  1. Hays, Kansas is a Volga German town on the High Plains of Northwest Kansas.
    I will just miss Oktoberfest- but that’s ok. It will be easier to find some solitude -after the crowds leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, you are blogging again! Soooo long since I checked. Sorry! Nice to see you back. lol And I agree about Trump. He's a douche bag.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!