03 August 2018

river drifting

The Deschutes River has 
Several Class 3 and 4 rapids. 
The scale only goes to 6. 
And Class 6 is unnavigable! 

The water level was up a little, 
So a typical Class 3
Is now a solid Class 4. 


The water temp is a cool 56 degrees F. 
That’s 13 degrees C. 

It’s so clear you can see fish. 
It’s mostly spring fed in parts. 


I pulled the granny card 
And had to sit out the first 2 rapids. 




Unspeakable beauty 

I intentionally chose the boat 
With an older couple on board. 
I have no desire for flipping the raft. 
I’d rather tip- than flip. 

A little hiking jaunt
Off the beaten path. 


Wet shoes, uneven, rocky terrain 
And me with no hiking poles. 
I opted to sit here as well 

Camp food was rationed. 
Only 1/4 pound meat. 
That’s a problem with low carb. 
When you go to a venue,
People aren’t having the same ideas 
Of what a portion is- 
If you skip carbs altogether. 


So I ended up going out. 
Skyway diner on Mount Hood. 


You know it’s a great place 
when they have salmon charts 
in the bathroom. 


Half pound of brisket. 
The chef made an “Elvis Chutney!”
It was peanut butter and mango chutney 
Instead of BBQ. 
He is from Texas, now in the PNW. 
Makes sense!

During the rafting trip, I lost my balance 
And ended up lunging to the floor. 
MUCH better lunging than overboard!

Lucky for me, my fall was broken 
By a wooden oar! 
Kapow, dye! Right on the noggin! 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you are having a great time! Thanks for sharing your adventures :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!