03 July 2009

independence day

yankee doodle dandy or
yankee (snicker) doodles

I'm a Yankee Doodle Baloney,
A Yankee Doodle do or die!
A real live nephew of my Uncle Spam,
Born on pastrami and rye!


This is me in nursing school at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. The statue in the background is Bronze Bruce. Shortly after graduation and state boards, our group was deployed to Operation Desert Storm! (No, not Dessert Storm!)

Me - hardly the quintessential Doughboy! None the less I did earn two Army Achievement Awards! But I'm braggin' now!

Funny, I was always at or below my weight in the Army. I never flunked a weigh in! And we were weighed weekly -- VERY weakly!

My dress green uniform was a size 15. I weighed 134. Not skinny, not _ _ _ . Fill in the blank.

Nowadays, would that weight would be considered almost overweight? I wonder if the stats related to obesity have changed in 20 years - are they stricter or more lenient? Or are WE stricter or more lenient as a society?


One of my sergeants said I walked around looking like an off-season weight lifter. Very solid, very strong, but not "cut" or "ripped" or any other "Arnold" type description. If you worked out at all and had any size or mass to your build, it was common to get a "tape test." They measured everything they could, fed it into an algorithm, and boom! You fit right into a category. Or not.

What a puppy I was 20 years ago! And to think, I was almost too old to join the Army. I went to basic training at age 28. Any extra weight no doubt came from the big hair and/or the glasses!

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY! To everyone! Everywhere!

Independence from.....?

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for your service! I love the picture!

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thank you!

    Is it just me of is Bronze Bruce checking you out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was an honor, and thank you! A safe and happy 4th to all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry - Don't ask, don't tell! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great picture! You look so proud. Thanks for serving in the Army! Have a happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like the military knew that "weight" is very relative in regards to overall fitness and body fat levels.

    very proud and honorable anneh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, they did. big ole guys - built like a tank - or a football player were technically over the weight limit, yes...but hardly obese! the Army even factored in gender and age!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne, I am really enjoying getting to know you through your posts! THANK YOU for serving in the Army. I take my hat off to you.
    That's a great picture too!
    Happy July 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anne, Fat Daddy had mentioned in his most recent post that when he goes on his walks he brings fellow bloggers with him in thought.
    I told him I do the same thing and quoted e.e. cummings ... I carry your heart with me (I carry it in my heart)
    Yours is one I carry with me. From the moment I began reading, I knew you were someone special. Every post has proven this to be true. You are insightful, clever, talented, spirited and genuine. Downright funny. Wanting the best for people and bringing it out of them and joining in the celebration. And all of this is tempered with a gentleness ... a gentlewoman ...
    and soldier.
    Fort Brag-gin! You have a right too. You've accompished much!
    A very happy 4th of July to you! Pass on the Happy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, being weighed weekly would KILL me. Nothing like encouraging an eating disorder. Ugh.

    Hey, Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great picture!Happy 4th of July and thank you for checking in on me. I'll be blogging this morning.I appreciate your support so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How about we gain independence from self loathing, or self doubt while we take this long, long journey toward healthy weight. How about we declare independence from all the negative talk that we encounter, including our own self chatter that can hold us hostage to thinking we are less than? How about we have fun and be happy and realize we're most certainly on our way to someplace better and sit in our success? How about I thank you for having served our country as you did? Thank you...Nurse!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How can we NOT have fun and be happy - we're most certainly on our way! Thanks again for all of your comments and support!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a bit late in commenting but better late than never. I know I would've flunked a weigh in every single day. I would flunk because of the snickers bars hiding under my pillow! LOL

    I admire your courage to join the military at 28. I have been considering finishing up my nursing degree. Started the pre-reqs but never finished. Do you still do nursing?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!