20 November 2019

early day


I have now officially said “goodbye “
To all my favorites 
From a previous life. 
All of it gave me heartburn. 
A slice of pizza. 
A beer (domestic yuk). 
A corny dog. 
A peanut butter cup. 
Chicken Quesadillas. 


It wasn’t a “binge in the car” type thing. 
I acted like the video series 
Where people from one country 
Try food from another country. 

What we love, they think is gross. 

If you really touched, and smelled,
And tasted the food you eat
-With a critical eye-
You probably wouldn’t eat 
Half of those things again. 




The breads are often stale. 
The cheese is just globs. 
The chicken is probably soy-
No. No real chicken looks like that! 

They use cheap oils to cut costs. 
And many many many preservatives 
And chemicals to ensure 
A long shelf life- and profit. 

No blood glucose rise-
But dayum, gurl- 
The inflammation! 
That’s what kills, anyhow. 

Who wants to feel like crap
And eat that junk? 
It’s never worth it. 


We’re probably remembering 
Food or treats from childhood-
When we want those things...
When we think we want them....


Food costs account for 
25% of the 
Total price of fast food. 
More or less. 
Big business. 


You’d go to jail if you fed a dog 
Taco Bell every night. 
But we eat it ourselves 
And think it’s grand. 




Almost too late for Autumn. . 
If you missed it, it was last week. 
Blue skies and low carb pies. 


Is this the same patio
I spent an hour cleaning 
Just this week?


Yes indeed. 
Get the rake. 


I feel it’s too confining
 to commit to 6 shifts a week. 
They’re long shifts. 
So I looked into Uber 
And Door Dash. 


An old hospice nurse trick
Is to imagine you are 
On your deathbed- 
50 years from now. 

What will you say? Feel? 
Will you regret what you didn’t do? 
Will you be sad that you never
Saw the mountains?
The oceans? 
Europe? 
It’s just a chance to try something new. 
If I don’t like it- I can go back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!